Dear Two Sentinels Family,
We are heartbroken to inform you that we recently received communication from the Amador County Health Department (the county where our camp is located) that it's not possible for us to run our camp this year due to COVID-19. We know that this is as disappointing for you as it is for all of us but it is for everyone's safety.
Soon, we will start working on canceling all reservations and refunding all fees paid (including deposits). You do not need to take any action in Ultracamp. This situation is new so it will take us some time to work out the logistics and we will send you more information about how we'll process refunds by the end of May.
If your camper is struggling with the news of summer camp cancellation, we've compiled some tips to help your camper navigate the grieving process.
Whether you were a new camper or have been coming for years, we’re already looking forward to Summer 2021 and we can’t wait until we can be together again.
Two Sentinels Directors
“And Two Sentinels will be my home
Dear Two Sentinels Family,
As the COVID-19 situation continues to develop, we are working closely with Girl Scouts of Northern California to determine different scenarios that might occur this summer. We want to inform you early on what we’re thinking so you are prepared. We appreciate all of your flexibility, love, and support as we work through this together!
The first thing to know is your safety is our #1 priority. Right now, we are preparing to ensure your safety and still run camp this summer. Our hope is this will be possible, and we know it’s yours too. Our program and location luckily provide us flexibility and time to watch how the COVID-19 situation develops a little further.
Still, we know preparing for camp takes time so we want to tell you now what our plans currently are. As with everything in this developing situation, this could change and we will communicate any changes to you.
June 10, 2020 - Final Camp Go/No Go Date
We hope to know and communicate to you by June 10, 2020 at the latest whether we will be able to run camp as normal, in a modified way, or not at all. The decision will obviously rely heavily on whether it is safe to leave our homes and gather in groups of some size this summer.
Until we can make this final decision, we are operating under the assumption that we will have a full summer of camp. See below for what you need to know to prepare!
April 26, 2020 - Virtual Firefly, Trekker, Superpacker Prep Meeting
Moved to virtual ZOOM meeting. All Fireflies, Trekkers, and Superpackers campers should have received an email with details already.
June 15, 2020 - NEW Health Form and Fees Deadline
Health forms and fees now due June 15 instead of May 15. How do I get my health form signed for camp?
Potential Safety Measures
If we can run camp this summer, we will still need to make some adjustments to ensure everyone’s health and safety in alignment with safety guidelines. Protocols may include:
If We Can't Run Camp At All
We will refund ALL fees including deposits, no matter how late we have to cancel.
We all recognize that we could receive information from the CDC or health department at any time that could mean this is what we need to do to ensure everyone’s safety.
What If I Don't Think I Want to Come to Camp Regardless?
We completely understand if you feel it’s in your best interest to stay home this summer, even if we are able to run camp. Please let us know ASAP if you think camp won’t be an option for you because we still have campers on waiting lists and need to ensure that we have staffing coverage for all units.
Extra Staff Dates/Info
April 24-26, 2020 - New Backpacking Staff Training Weekend Postponed
If we are able to reschedule for a later date, we’ll send details to staff.
May 3, 2020 - New Staff Orientation
Will be held virtually on May 3. Details to come for new staff!
May 23, 2020 - Mandatory Staff Training Weekend Go/No-Go Date
We will inform all staff if we need to swap in-person training weekend (June 5-7) for a virtual online option instead.
A Note About Staff Certifications
Stay safe and healthy!
Two Sentinels Directors
From all the directors, we hope you are well and taking care of those close to you.
We are preparing for camp this summer and are following all CDC, American Camping Association, and GSUSA guidelines in regards to the COVID-19 situation. It is too early for us to make decisions about upcoming camp activities (staff training weekend, in-town meetings, etc.). As we know more regarding these events, we will keep you informed.
Let's remember our positive camp attitudes--the world can use more of that right now.
Don’t know about you, but we’ve got phantom mosquito bites that start itching for camp around this time every year! Maybe it’s because camp registration is drawing near. Maybe it’s because the temperature outside in the mornings reminds us of waking up at camp. Maybe it’s because it’s been far too long since we were last with our camp family! Whatever the reason, we relish this opportunity to daydream about Summer 2020 as we share some news with you!
Registration Dates 2020
Jan 4 ,2020 9AM: Staff + staff kid registration begins
Feb 1, 2020 9AM: Public registration begins
In-Camp Unit Improvements
We want to provide an in-camp experience as engaging as our backpacking program. In Summer 2020, we’re replacing the Gypsies unit with the Rangers unit and adding the Dockers unit.
Age Group: Going into 7th or 8th grade
Our location in the Sierras is a unique and interesting environment with lots to teach us. The focus of this unit is stewardship of the land and appreciation of nature. Rangers get to learn about the flora and fauna around camp during wildlife watching. They’ll spend extra time studying the stars at Astronomy Rock. They’ll observe nature through different art forms like watercolor and drawing and nature journals. Rangers take a day trip to the fire department to learn about wildfire safety. They’ll also learn fundamentals of hiking, orienteering, and first aid, and also get to do regular in-camp activities like crafts and archery.
Age Group: Going into 9th or 10th grade
Our beautiful Lake Kirkwood is the perfect place to spend the afternoon--or every afternoon! The focus of this unit is water activity. Dockers will become confident swimmers, canoers, funyakers, and rowboaters. They’ll enjoy more than 2 Polar Bear Swim opportunities during the session as well as hikes to other locations for swimming. They’ll learn basics of water safety and lifesaving, and also get to do regular in-camp activities like crafts and archery.
Session Availability: We’ll be offering Rangers and Dockers for all 3 sessions during registration. Because these units are new to our curricula, we appreciate your cooperation and patience in case we need to consolidate or request some campers move to another unit depending on staffing and registration.
**If you have “aged out” of Rangers or Dockers but now wish you had the opportunity to try these units, email us! We will see if we can accommodate so you get a chance to try these units.
Age Group: Pioneers now serves campers going into 11th or 12th grade. The session availability and curriculum for Pioneers remains the same.
One Step Beyond (our counselor-in-training program) is a 2-week unit with the 1st week encompassing your training and the 2nd week practicing staffing with a unit. In past, we offered training week during Session 1 or Session 2 and staffing week during Session 3 only. To accommodate early college start dates in 2020, we are considering offering staffing week during Session 2 for those who complete training week in Session 1.
When you complete your additional OSB application, tell us whether you can staff Session 2 or Session 3. In order to accommodate as many OSBs as possible, we may ask you to move to a different training week and staffing week if possible.
We’ll continue to offer all our other units as usual. You can find more details about our units in The Units section.
If you have any questions or want more details, contact us!
We look forward to seeing you in summer 2020!
Two Sentinels Directors